Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thing # 9 - More RSS Feeds

Which method of finding feeds did you find easiest to use?
Going through the Edublogs' award winners worked best for me. It gave me a place to start building my "Circle of the Wise", particularly those from outside my immediate field.

Which Search tool was the easiest for you?
I liked Google Blog Search the best; although, I had to be careful that I linked to the appropriate sites. It pulled up articles of interest, but linked to the broader publication which was WAY off topic. It is probably better to get the articles through Google Alerts rather than link to a feed that is usually not of interest.

Which was more confusing?
Topix.net had lots of errors on the page so that made it difficult to use. Probably our internal blocking mechanisms caused the problems. I also found Syndic8 to be overwhelming.

What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels? Or what kind of unusual ones did you find?
I am excited about some the parenting resources I found. There seem to be several blogs where parents share tips about everything under the sun. I also found some interesting resources from Prufrock for Gifted Education. I knew the publisher was forward thinking, and they have some good things posted. What I found most unusual was what I didn't find. I haven't found many feeds specific to Gifted Education. It may be my limited ability to do a thorough search, but I'm not confident of that. My colleagues and I should be out there, easy to find!

What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds?
I don't have a good answer here. Ms. Whatsit recommended I look at feeds on various blogs that I find, so I'm taking that advice. It just takes time :)


Image from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jek-a-go-go/251903749/sizes/m/

2 comments:

ms. whatsit said...

When I want to subscribe to a feed, I just copy and paste the URL. It's always worked for me.

Prufrock is new to me. Thanks. I'm adding it to my Google Reader.

It does take time to keep up with these technologies. My kids are much older than yours, which gives me the time. Don't be hard on yourself. Little ones are far more important.

Still, a good collection of RSS feeds should keep you up to date. Think of your aggregator as a newspaper with articles from only the authors you select.

VWB said...

I make use of other people's feeds...if follow what they write, it only makes sense that what they have read and selected would benefit me. time saver!