Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thing #11 - LibraryThing

What a great tool! I love the community aspect of LibraryThing. It's like a huge book club with tons of little sub-groups. I can't wait to share this with my husband. He's a much more involved reader than I. He reads several book reviews and keeps a long on-going list of books he wants to read. LibraryThing can help him get other perspectives on the books and manage his lists.

I can really see teachers getting a lot out of this in preparing to teach novels. They can have a book discussion with others and benefit from the multiple points of view in preparing lessons. You can certainly connect with others who are teaching the novels and maybe share lessons that way.

I have a Caldecott collection. I now have all of the award winners and most of the honor books. It took me a long time to get Mei Li, as it is out of print and most who are willing to sell their copies wanted a fortune. It was really easy to put together a list in Amazon of Caldecott winners and then import the list into LibraryThing. I also entered some of my baby's favorite books. I couldn't believe how fast the process was once I found the import options. Now I'm anxious to get the rest of my picture book collection catalogued. This is exciting for the organizer in me!

I also added a LibraryThing widget and search widget to this blog. (Scroll down the side bar.) I'm really looking forward to joining some groups and finding good book recommendations for GT kids and my little one!

No comments: